- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 12 slices american cheese
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- Lay out pieces of sandwich bread on a flat surface. Use a rolling pin to flatten. Then, if desired, use a knife to cut the crusts off of each piece of flattened bread.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each slice of bread, then roll up tightly to form a grilled cheese roll.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat until melted. Place the grilled cheese rolls (about 3 at a time) seam-side down in the skillet, and cook on all sides until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. You can press the rolls down with a spatula to be sure that they do not unfold while cooking.
- Remove and repeat with the remaining sandwiches, adding more melted butter if necessary. Serve immediately with tomato soup as a dipping sauce.